Monday, September 09, 2013

Haji joins the vacation

Saturday we went out to see the horses and take Daniel and cousin Chloe for a little ride around the driveway.  One thing is for sure, brother-in-law's pasture is too huge!  Took me forever to find Cody and then when I did find him he was across the creek.  Rather than walking all the way back to the dry spot I jumped on bareback and convinced him to take me through the creek back to the gate. It was slow going but he went in with out much fight.  The kids didn't ride long, it was hot and we had to be at a birthday party so it was just a few loops.  Plus Cody was soooooo slow.  He's clearly embracing this retirement thing.



So there was a little change of plans for the weekend.  Originally we were going to bring Cody and Axel back to town so that  they'd all be in one place when the farrier came on Thursday.  But the farrier doesn't have any other work in the area so he wanted to push it another week.  I think with all the dry weather their hooves aren't growing too fast so it should be fine.  Haji has been doing really well gaining weight and Cody and Axel have gotten some huge grass bellies from the pasture they are on, so I decided maybe Haji could use some company.  We'll keep a close eye on his weight but I thought he could use some more grazing and some companionship.  I decided it would take just as much if not more time to trailer him than it would to walk him the mile down the road.  So Haji and I went for a little walk to meet up with Cody and Axel.  Of the three horses, Haji, the oldest, walks the fastest, so it was a quick trip.  And as usual, Haji is a saint of a horse.


I'm thinking maybe Haji liked being on his own.  He wasn't too sure about Cody and Axel when they came running to see him. I hope they settle in quick when they figure out they know each other.  When I was there Haji hadn't seen the goats yet so I didn't get to see that interaction.  He did see the cows but didn't get too close yet.  There was a lot of running around with tail flagged like a proper Arabian.  He looked pretty impressive, boy can still move!


So the farrier will just come out a week late and go to where the horses are.  Hopefully we can figure something out as far as fetching them quickly so he doesn't have to go all over the place to find them in the pasture.  I'm hoping for some rain to help the grass grow in town so when we put them back in a few weeks they'll have a bit more grass and we can put off round bales for a while longer.




No comments: