Saturday, April 01, 2006

April Fools

Well it was supposed to be nice out today. They lied. The sun almost peeked out for a minute or two and it wasn't 60F like they said it would be. But, it wasn't raining so we went out for a ride anyways.

First I had to go help at WCR with a barn clean up. After, I got the barn manager to come out and ride with me. I fetched the horses from the mud and we did our best to clean them up. Not an easy job this time of year. Put the western saddles on even though Cody's isn't fitting him well. There's a really nice one that I might be able to buy from WCR if it fits him. We figured for a ride down the road his old saddle would be fine. He actually doesn't act out at all because of it, that I can tell, it just looks uncomfortable.

We went up the road and planned to go across an unplowed bean field but it was way too soft and the horses were sinking in too far. Cody only tested me twice at the beginning of the ride. Hopefully that means we're getting past this whole issue of trying to get back to the barn. Axel was an angel as usual. He's really a diamond in the rough, that big goofy horse.

Tried out the new bridle on Cody this time as well. The cavesson doesn't fit at all but I think if I punch some more holes in it, it might work. He didn't mind the new bit, just a loose ring snaffle I borrowed from a friend. But he didn't love it either. I might try Axel's D-ring on him next time just to see. It's a bit thinner. He didn't start fussing until we were headed back towards the barn.

After our little ride we took Kiko and Kalani out for a walk up the drive way. Kiko wasn't overly scared but she's kind of a handful on the lead. She is in season so perhaps that a lot to do with it. Kalani is a big 'fraidy cat, but he did well despite. Hopefully we can work with him more and get him some training as well. It's almost time to go on some trail rides. Today was actually Kalani's birthday as well, guess he's just an April fool.

While we were walking the pintos, Corey was back in the pasture having a coronary. Running around, snorting and calling. Then Cody started calling, and even Axel started calling. Despite all the calling, the pintos didn't call back and were fairly unaffected. There's hope after all ;)

If it doesn't rain tomorrow morning I think I'll go out and take Beau for a walk down the road as well. I should take Corey for a ride but I don't think his saddle is in the tack room and we can probably wrap Axel's girth around him twice.

No comments: