Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Dressage Lesson #4


Today's lesson was more work than last weeks, but less work than the week before. And I think we got more success this week than last week. I haven't watched the video yet as I don't seem to have a way to display it on my television, guess I'll have to watch on the camera.

Got to the barn and of course had to walk down the hill to fetch Axel. One of these days I am just going to find a log and get on him at the bottom of the hill and ride him up. But not today :) Led him up the hill with all the other horses following and running past us. Usually Axel could care less but he was a little worked up about it, even tried a few mini rears. We did a few circles while the other horses ran past. Gave me a chance to catch my breath.

Brought Axel in the barn and unwrapped his legs. They aren't perfect yet but we think they look better than on Sunday. No heat on them this time. Tricia picked some scabs off and rubbed some hair and dirt off and cleaned him up. So she's picking on his feet which apparently itched because his lip was a'going. He started grooming my leg which was unfortunately followed by a bite, so now I have a big lump on my leg. We decided since the wraps just ended up having dirt get under them we'd just leave it open this time. Fully doused in betadine of course. His white socks are now orange.

So we saddled up and went out to the pasture to work. Axel finally taught me that he does not like the reins too tight and that he prefers to work off of leg pressure. By the end of the lesson he was bending around corners with loops in my reins. Still have to put my outside leg nearly in front of the girth but I think he's starting to get it. Or atleast I'm starting to get it.

After the ride we went and hung the extra tire up in a tree down in the pasture. We left the horses up in the middle pasture for now to try and keep them out of the mud as much as possible so they won't get to play with it until they are let back down in the bottom pasture. But it's all ready for them.

No comments: