Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Dressage Lesson #9

When I got to the barn Beau was the only one in the paddock, standing in the sun, swatting flies. He's moving slower and slower every time I see him, and I'm sure the sweltering heat isn't helping any. I might have to go out this weekend if just to hose him down, it's supposed to be 100F on Saturday. It wasn't much cooler in the barn but the bugs weren't as bad so I let him in so he could graze on the hay a bit and get some relief from swatting.

Luckily the rest of the horses hadn't gone too far, they were just standing in the trees trying to stay cool and away from the bugs. Of course when I brought Axel up to the paddock everyone else had to follow, or rather, run past me getting Axel all excited. I managed to shoo everyone out of the paddock except for Cody and Axel. I was kind of early so I groomed and applied fly spray, then I started working on shovelling manure. Luckily Tricia arrived before I finished ;)

We could hardly get Axel out of the paddock so we decided to go work on the hills to try and wake him up a bit. Our plan didn't quite go as planned. We worked on the hill in the trees on a circle of sorts. Axel was moving, barely. When we got a couple good rounds of him bending in both directions we went down to the sandy part of the hill. Atleast there I was able to get a trot out of him at the bottom of the hill in a circle and then some cantering up the hill. It wasn't a great lesson but neccessary. We'll have a couple weeks off now again so Tricia can get married. I'll probably still go out on Tuesdays and ride and try and school him a bit myself until she's back.

No comments: