Monday, July 24, 2006

A Quick Sunday Evening Ride

Tricia's wedding was on Saturday so I didn't get a chance to go out and ride then. Tom had a couple friends over during the day on Saturday and they took Cody, Axel, and Corey out for a ride. Sounded like it went fairly well and it's good the horses got a chance to get out and work a little. So Jeff and I planned a ride for Sunday afternoon. When we arrived Axel seemed a little off. Nothing obvious but stiff in his rear end. After some tail swishing and short stepping we decided to let him take a break. Jeff got Cody ready and I was going to ride Corey. This would be the second time I've really ridden him, and I enjoy it more each time. He's a fun little horse. If we can keep up riding him he would make a good "guest horse."

We had minor issues getting Cody and Corey out of the paddock and down the hill but once we got across the bridge it was smooth sailing. Went through the woods, trotted across the clearing (super fast Arab trot, yikes), and even did the short loop at the top of the hill (the loop that leads away from the way home, which is usually a big fight). Cody was an angel for Jeff. And Corey was well behaved but constantly shaking his head to rid himself of flies. I shoulda had a flynet on him. Oh well. Tony had done some extra mowing when he was out horse/house sitting so at the bottom of the hill when you first cross the bridge there's a new path. The branches are a bit low (but not a problem on Corey) but they were small branches so we made it through just fine. It's nice having a little change of scenery even if it's just a quick little loop.

And wouldn't you know it, I pointed Corey at that same branch we jumped over last time. This time he was walking up the hill in control, he picked it up to a very calm trot and jumped over the branch again! I think Corey and I might be having a few more rides in our future, I want to put a pole out on some flat ground and see if he'll jump when he's not barrelling towards home. And I think this fall I'll have to get Tom to start mowing a path over some of the fallen logs and help clear some of the branches myself. I guess I really do miss jumping!

The farrier suggested hoof oil once a week for Axel last time he was out. So I put some on his feet then while we were there. I figured I'd try it out for a few weeks and see if there are any positive or negative changes. I had originally thought the farrier was against hoof oil. But I guess not!

No comments: