Thursday, July 03, 2008

Cody's new rider

I've asked one of the We Can Ride staff if she'd be interested in riding Cody whenever she's out at Pinto Creek. She goes and rides with Patti sometimes so I thought it would be fairly convenient for her. So Tuesday she came out to witness the chaos that is Tuesdays at the ranch. Tricia brought Meaghan to have a riding lesson on Poppy. So while Steph taught her lesson we hung out and scratched horses. Axel was feeling a little off on his front left but we figured it was probably just the arthritis. When everyone was tacked and ready to go we ended up with 5 horses and riders. Andrea on Cody, me on Axel, Tricia on Kiko, Steph on Kalani, and Meaghan on Poppy. Axel worked out of his soreness quite easily. He wasn't quite up to his feisty self that he had been a couple weeks prior but he was moving out a little more than normal. He also progressed from fairly well behaved to obnoxious by the end of the ride. Constantly trying to eat grass, flinging his head due to bugs, and just being a regular space cadet. Evidence would be the scratches on my arm and lip from running into numerous tree branches. I actually had a hard time getting him to walk up the hill on the way home.

Cody wasn't an angel but he also wasn't totally horrible either. He gave Andrea a taste of his annoyance at having to ride, the huffing and puffing, sweating, and bit avoidance. But he was comparatively calm and she had him walking down hills pretty well. So hopefully she'll have some time to go ride him once every or every other week.

I guess Kiko was being a little bit of a handful herself. Poppy started out pretty quick but realized she couldn't keep up with the big horses and calmed down a bit. Kalani must have been just fine as I didn't hear too much from his direction. I ended up using Axel's new bell boots finally, I haven't had a chance to clean his old ones yet. Kiko has moved into the blue bell boots so she doesn't remove her shoes. And I donated Axel's combo boots to Dirt (Lexi's new horse) as he's wearing bar shoes right now and Tricia likes to have him in SMBs when she trail rides him. I'm too lazy so far to take the white saddle pad off the dressage saddle so we've been trail riding in style. I've gotta dig out the ear nets one of these days as well.

Next week we have no Tricia so I think we are going to take some photos of Kiko and Kalani for their sale ads. I thought I had another idea of what we could work on but it's not there. I think Steph wants to work on Kalani's canter more so maybe we'll just do some schooling.

No comments: