Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Too many flies

Cody was looking better last night. Still a little iffy when he walks but he's moving around and doesn't seem to be bothered. They've figured out how to get him to take paste bute so now they're at least getting it all in and it's helping. I'm still hoping this lameness is just a pasture injury and will go away soon. Someone suggested that he did a "bambi" during the rain storm we had right before he turned up lame. I brought him into the barn and groomed him up and used the remaining fly spray I had on him. I even dug out the fly masks and cleaned them up for him to wear. The flies were pretty bad and he couldn't walk a step without flinging his head all over to rid him self of them. He pleased as punch to stand in the barn with me and even made a request that I scratch his forehead with the mane/tail brush. I filed his hooves a bit more (I'm still not very good at it and don't really get much off) and turned him out. He stood at the dutch doors with his head in the barn the rest of the evening watching me. Pretty sure he just wanted back in where the flies weren't as bad.

Axel looked pretty good so I groomed and squeezed a few drops of fly spray out for him. Steph was working on getting Kalani to figure out the canter in the round pen and everyone else was helping throw hay. Axel figured he better stay and help with the hay but I tacked him up anyway and we went out to the end of the pasture to ride a bit. He was feeling pretty good, quick even. But the flies were bothering him quite a bit so we didn't work long. Just some nice walking and some trotting. He'd take a step or two that wasn't quite right but he was mostly sound so that was a nice change. Particularly nice considering he's not on bute just that supplement, so a little off isn't a bad deal. I put the fly mask on him before turning him out too. It's only minor relief but at least it's something. I just think a fly sheet would be so warm. I still might get some fly wraps for his legs. That black horse is a magnet for flies it seems.

When we were done I watched Patti give Cody his bute for the night. He's still not a pro but she's got him figured out pretty well so it isn't quite the hassle it used to be. I'm wondering if he'll eventually stop flinging his head up with all this attention and let us de-worm him peacefully in the future. I think he is figuring out that people's attention = less pain. He's been a bit more affectionate lately, doesn't walk away when being caught, and asking for spots to be scratched. Not the "always on duty herd boss" Cody usually is.

No comments: