Thursday, July 24, 2008

Murphy Hanrehan

Wednesday we decided to venture out of our little comfort zone and head over to try Murphy Hanrehan for some trail riding. I was lucky enough to have Tricia and Steph fetch all the horses and gear and I just met them at the park as it was on my way. Tricia brough Oly and Lexi had her new horse (Dirt, Dusty, whatever). I rode Kiko and Steph was on Kalani. It's a pretty nice area, the camp ground part is really nice. The part of the trail we took was a bit rocky (bring boots if Cody ever goes) and some of the horses were having issues. Kiko had shoes on so we had no problems at all. It was nice to finally have a calm relaxing ride. Kiko was an angel while every one else came up with issue after issue (mostly the rocks).

After I got used to the fact that Kiko moves out a lot more than any of my horses things were fine. I even had her in the back of the pack which we'll blame on my "slow butt." The only potentially scary thing that happened was on a nice flat strech we decided to canter. Kiko took two strides of canter and then bolted into a gallop which I was not ready for. She then dove into the weeds for no apparent reason, made it back on the trail, and came back down to a trot when asked. Not sure what that was about but it was Kiko's first gallop under saddle.

No comments: