Sunday, July 27, 2008

Really big horses

Went out to see the draft horse competitions at the Scott County Fair today. The 8 horse hitches were pretty impressive. After that Steph and I ran up to the ranch to meet with a couple that are interested in Kalani. Steph and the two potential buyers took Kiko, Kalani, and Axel out on the trail to try him out. We're not sure what they are going to decide but Kalani's cantering issue might hinder the situation. They did like Kiko though so maybe they will be interested in her.

While they were out and about I collected all of Cody and Axel's old tack to bring back to Canby this weekend. I'll have to clean it up some time this week but that shouldn't be too big of a deal. It lightens my load a bit in the tack room. I'll have to pick up a new curb chain for Cody and possibly a neoprene girth if the regular one doesn't work. Eventually I might need a breast collar too but we'll see. I'm hoping when Kalani sells I will be able to buy his western saddle for Axel.

Cody is still off on his front end, still both legs/shoulders. He's on a minimal amount of bute to keep him comfortable but still be able to tell if he's improving or getting worse. He definitely gets worse when he's turned out on the hill and has to walk up and down a lot. We still have a week and half before the farrier is out so I put his boots on. We'll try that for a few days and see if there's any improvement. He did look better even after only a few minutes of wearing them. So we'll see how he's doing on Tuesday when I go out. At least if this helps it implies that shoeing him for a while with pads is a good option. I just hope he doesn't wreck the boots in the mean time!

No comments: