Monday, February 02, 2009

Impatient

Ran out to the barn later than I had planned. But I was greeted by both Cody and Axel at the gate. They actually called out when one of the barn owners drove up. Guess it doesn't take long to learn who carries the feed buckets, eh? I had a heck of a time getting Cody out of the pasture, Axel kept wanting to sneak out. He was nearly charging for the gate. I walked Cody up to the barn, through the tack room, and into the barn aisle. He was actually fairly calm about it, still takes a little coaxing to get him through the tack room but his reaction is similar to his trailer loading issues. So getting him comfortable with the tack room will only help the trailer loading, right?

I tied him for a minute in the aisle, I didn't cross tie him yet as I had a rope halter on him and we haven't worked on the cross ties yet. He was calmer than the day prior but still a little agitated. I turned him out in the arena where he trotted around a bit. No calling or anything. I lunged him a few times, he was a little more defiant than Sunday but still pretty good, he was willing to walk today. When I was done with that I walked him into a stall and tried to give him a treat but he was more concerned with sniffing everything.

After shooing Axel out of the way to get Cody back in the pasture I grabbed Axel and went back to the barn. Cody started calling a bit but I couldn't hear any running. Axel even needed some coaxing to go into the tack room. I guess even he needs some time to adjust. He was quite a bit more worked up that Cody for once. I put him in the arena right away and he trotted around for a while, then he cantered around (both leads weee), then he galloped around a bit. After that he wandered around snorting at everything. He wasn't going to stand still for grooming so I lunged him around just a few times (he's not very good at it yet).

Both horses have lost a bit of their ground manners when they are worked up about whatever it is they are worked up about. There was minor improvements so we'll keep working on it by just going into the barn and not doing anything terribly difficult. I, for one, am getting impatient, I want to ride and and have a good time! Hehe. Or at the very least work with a horse for more than 2 minutes at a time.

No comments: