Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Quick Visit/Warm Weather

40+ degrees and rainy in February, the horses have so far managed to stay out of the mud but it's a little preview of how spring will be. I'll be sporting the muck boots and borrowing a cordless clippers to trim up Axel's legs, that's for sure. I just hope the melting disperses enough so that when it gets cold again it doesn't make a big ice rink. But yay for indoor arena!

Axel's progress: Axel was a super star tonight which I was not expecting. He was calm and even listening to me when he wasn't on the lead-line. We worked on standing still for a little while both on the lead-line and near the "mounting block" (bucket).
  1. Relax in barn/arena - even without Jeff around tonight he was finally calm despite the wind making some evil noises
  2. Relax in stall
  3. Back off trailer
  4. Lunge 3 gaits - lunged walk and trot in both directions, free lunged trot and canter in one direction (surprised me that he was listening and actually got into that canter)
  5. Move out - seems to be moving out really well on the lead and at liberty
  6. Use haunches
  7. Canter both leads - right lead only lunging at liberty
Cody's progress: Cody was so nervous, maybe it was the wind but he was just shaking. He was still obedient but beside himself with nerves. He either stepped on his tail in the pasture or he really sat down when I asked him to back up and stepped on his tail. So now I have a huge chunk of tail to add to my horse hair braiding supplies. I might have to braid his tail up if he keeps yanking chunks out.
  1. Relax in barn/arena - fairly relaxed in the aisle while I brushed but still a little nervous
  2. Relax in Stall
  3. Pay attention to handler - extremely nervous in the arena, not paying attention at the halt
  4. Lunge 3 gaits - lunged walk and trot
  5. Gain confidence with rider - super nervous even with me on the ground
  6. Load and Unload

1 comment:

EquineMan said...

Sounds like a very productive day! And I love the mounting block I have one like that when I am at the upper arena.

It is raining here in California today and alot coming this weekend. It is a "chilly" 60 degrees today. :)

You have a really nice blog and hope to watch some progress.

Ron
horse classifieds