Thursday, February 26, 2009

New Video Camera

Jeff got me one of those tiny Flip Mino HD cameras for my birthday so I had to go try it out. My main goal was to just experiment with placement and to see what the lighting was like and how the video turned out. I only had a little over an hour on Wednesday before I had to go to ballet so I was just going to ride Axel around a bit. Actually upon some discussion at Midwest Horse Talk, I wanted to lunge, walk, and trot Axel to see where he was at as far as "forward."

I should have known he was going to be a tough cookie since he stood in the arena tied to the wall without moving an inch. No pawing or kicking or flinging his head around. When I started lunging him he'd barely move until I got the whip (the contents of the part of the video that I have uploaded so far).

When I got on we walked for quite a while, I was trying to get him to "walk up" as much as I could. We did some serpentines to make sure he was listening to me. Then I asked for a trot and was greeted with some small little cow kicks/bucks. About this time a couple other boarders brought in their horses to wait for their vet. Axel was quite annoyed that he wasn't out there meeting these other horses. The one gal brought her horse into the arena to lunge him until he was ready for his shots. Axel proceed to attempt to kick this horse every time he came around the circle.

The moment of truth was as we were trotting the girl took her horse out of the arena and left the gate open. Axel and I rounded the corner and he saw the open gate and took off in one of his canter/bucking fits. Luckily I pulled him up in the direction away from the gate and pointed him at the wall until he stopped (this is not on video since the gate was open, the camera was facing away, so I guess I'll be putting the camera on a different gate in the future). After that we were about done for so we walked around a bit more before dismounting. When I untacked him he was a little damp but not too bad and it was fairly warm out. Axel decided better and rolled three separate times in the arena before I took him outside. I'm going to start putting a command on his rolling so I can get him to roll in the winter instead of having to blanket him before he goes back out.

No comments: