Friday, September 11, 2009

Post Cow High

Axel must have felt invigorated after visiting the cows. Or maybe he was just feeling good. Interesting that Tuesday, Wednesday, and now today he's been pretty full of energy. I didn't lunge him tonight I just groomed and threw on his saddle and joined another boarder in the barn. Axel was really moving out at the walk. He even passed Stitch a few times. When they left the arena we worked on the backing up stuff we learned the other night. He's a little reluctant but he gives at the poll a lot sooner than he had been. He got a lot of scratches as soon as he'd back and drop his head instead of jutting out his nose. We did some serpentines to work on some bending and steering without getting in his face too much. We even managed a bit of trotting without any bucking. One jump into a canter stride but we were back to trotting right away and he moved out actually very sound. I had thought about giving him some bute before and during the trail ride but he's been doing so well I think he'll be just fine, especially since it should be pretty easy going. I think I'll even buy him a little warm up massage. Silly spoiled horses.

I checked on Cody and brought him out to the hitching rail. He has a weird scabby raw grown over missing hair spot on his left ear. I assume it's rope burn from his little spazz and it was dry and didn't bother him to touch it. I held his bucket while he spilled his senior feed all over the place. No wonder he doesn't gain weight easily, most of it ends up on the floor. Sadly it was like that before he had his teeth done and is still that way after, so I think it's just his way. Maybe he'll get a feed bag some day.

No comments: