Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Axel's Bumps Part II

Axel and the moon

I didn't have a lot of time yesterday so I just ran out to do some grooming and make sure everyone still had all their limbs since it had been a week. It was a pretty good day for just grooming as the wind had picked up and it was a bit chilly. Though I'm still trying to figure out if Axel's bumps are bug bites or rain rot. Axel was covered in mud which took me a good half hour to get scrubbed off and he still looks dirty. He's been wearing his hay on his face so he has a wonderful green dusty tint to him. If it's as warm as they say it will be this weekend I might have to break down and do baths (especially if it is rain rot).

Weird scabs that both Cody and Axel have

Nothing terribly goofy about the boys, Axel has 3 scrapes which I assume are from rubbing on something. The winter hair seems to come out in bigger clumps than summer hair and it's that much more obvious when it does come out. Axel got his treat and some MSM which he was happy about, he knickered the whole time I was in the tack room getting it ready. Cody got his extra food while I groomed Axel. Cody's bumps are mostly along his spine while Axel's are in more places and on his rump. Cody didn't have any scrapes though but he had equal amounts of mud. He seems to have gained enough weight to cover his ribs but his back is still pretty hollow. I suppose he'll need to do some work on his topline to ever get that back in shape.

Cody poses by the moon

I should be staying in town this weekend and it's supposed to be nice so I'll probably be spending a fair amount of time at the barn. Supposedly a trail ride on Sunday. Maybe I'll do some baths on Saturday and try and scrub some of the scabs off. I'll have time to stand around waiting for the horses to dry with their coolers on at least. Though I can imagine if I do give baths they aren't going to be too great with cold water. (note to self, install heated wash stall in own barn when it's built)

No comments: