Friday, November 06, 2009

Rain Rot Ick

cody waits til I don't have a lot of time to be absolutely caked in mud.

I just stopped out at the barn to clean up the horses before we ran out to the farm for the weekend. Axel wasn't too dirty but I wanted to get some scabs off and put some chlorhexidine on the rain rot and hopefully kill it. I tried putting MTG in a spray bottle but I think it's just too thick so now I'll have to transfer it back to it's original bottle (glad I kept it). It didn't smell nearly as bad as everyone says it does but it isn't pleasant. Since I had the anti-bacterial stuff I was just going to use the MTG to help loosen the scabs which I tried to brush off with a metal curry. I got quite a few off but it was taking quite some time so I just finished with the scrub and turned him out.

Cody was covered in mud so I had to de-mud him the best I could. I'm happy that he enjoys having his face scrubbed with the rubber curry, that says a lot coming from a horse that was previous super head-shy. He didn't have quite as many scabs and they were mostly right on his spine or his rear so I just scrubbed him with the chlorhexidine in the hopes that it would get better before Sunday.

This day light saving time thing is a real bummer. I couldn't even see Axel in the pasture it was so dark. I could barely make out Cody's white face. I guess I need a flashlight for this time of year. When I went to get Cody I stopped just short of some serious wet mud without knowing it. Cody sunk in it when he came up to me. Ick.

No comments: