Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Vet Update

So the vet made it out last night to take a look at Axel. While I was waiting I brought him into the crossties and Cody into a stall. Axel stood patiently while I groomed and then I put him in the arena. As soon as I turned my back he started to run around bucking like crazy. Apparently this sore foot thing isn't as sore as he led me to believe the day before! He was really working himself up so I put Cody in the crossties and Axel in the stall. Normally I'd like him run but I didn't want him worked up before the vet arrived.

Cody's mane "tornados" weren't as bad as Axel's so it didn't take long to get him groomed. He's looking so good this winter having a round bale. As soon as this thing with Axel is cleared up Cody will have to be put back to work. Apparently the other day when J & J left the house Cody was napping in the hay, flat out sleeping. When they came back 2 hours later he was in the same spot. Not a good sign. They yelled his name and he picked up his head and looked at them. Turns out he cast himself on the very small portion of the bale that remained intact. J went out and kicked the bale out of the way and Cody got up on his feet. Goofy horse. He doesn't lay down very often and now that he's pretty comfortable with life he goes and casts himself on a bale in the middle of the wide open pasture.

So Axel wasn't too happy to be in the stall. He even bit at the metal bars on the door. J came out and waited for a bit and said he'd be back out when the doc got there. So doc arrived, J came out, and A showed up for moral support. He took a look at Axel and took his temperature. Just as my thermometer read a little low the day before, doc said his temp was 99F (should be 99.5F). A little low but he's got a good winter coat and he's not shivering so not really a concern. He poked at the swelling on his belly and confirmed that it was pitting edema and it was symmetrical. Poked his bits for a while and looked around a little. He said he didn't really know what it was but maybe it's a dirty sheath causing Axel to stand still too much and thus stocking up. He poked around a bit more and discovered Axel was a little dirty but not too horrible. But he also discovered that Axel is a liberal fellow and had no issues with doc being in that neck of the woods. So he got some warm water and betadine and whatnot and went to work cleaning his sheath. He didn't uncover any mysteries and there was no bean so that diagnosis looks a little half hearted. But he said to see if that does the trick.

When I put Axel in the arena again while doc was packing up he did his usual running around and then started in with the lame walking again so I had the vet watch. He got out the hoof testers but didn't get any reactions. Can stocking up make a horse sore? Anyway my plan is to get out there this week as much as I can and get him moving around in the arena to help reduce the swelling. The vet was terribly full of suggestions or "just in cases" so if the sheath cleaning doesn't remedy the situation I might see about getting a different vet out for a second opinion. It's hard to doubt a vet that's been working for over 30 years but he left me a little at a loss. A little bloodwork would have been an acceptable "just in case" for me. So we shall see.

No comments: