Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Cody gets a workout

Untitled
Last week I convinced Jeff to watch the baby after work so I could go to the barn when there might be people around to ride with. And I lucked out because not only was J around but so was TeeJay's owner. J and I went down the road almost to the mile mark but Cody was being a bit of a pill. The usual turning for home and getting mad when I wouldn't let him. He kept creeping toward the ditch and when he'd get close he'd start backing into it so I'd kick him a good one and we had a mini bucking session by the neighbor's mailbox. Not a big deal just a little attitude. He was pretty slow and not too happy to be out and about. I'm going to blame the wind and the fact that Atta Girl isn't Steele, his usual riding buddy. So when we got back I went into the arena and rode a bit. I had J get on him for a while and see what he could do. So I'm seeing my first problem isn't Cody, it's that I just let him get away with murder. Doh. She had him on the rail, trotting, cantering. She got a left lead on the first try. She was choked up on the reins more than Cody likes so he was fighting that quite a bit but he started settling down. She figured he'd get used to it if we kept it up. I got back on and worked on that left lead. It took me forever to get it. J says to counter bend. So we'd be at the wall and I'd have his head nearly cranked around to my knee facing the wall and then ask for the canter and he finally picked up the lead. Soooo, I guess it's user error :( Hehe. But she said he was really nice to ride and he'd have a gorgeous lope if we made him do it once in a while. She said she can work with him and me this summer in the arena and getting him down the road. I think if I kick his butt in the arena then down the road might not be so bad since maybe he'll mind me a bit more. So that was that. Bad ride on the road, good ride in the arena. He was a sweaty boy. In other news, C was there with TeeJay. I think it's been over a year since I saw her. And I asked her if I could ride him down the road and she thought that would be just fine. She's going to give me a call when she thinks he's good to go. J got on TeeJay and he was pretty rusty. But he looks good in Axel's dressage bridle. ;) So it pays to get to the barn when there's people around! So when I get the okay I'll be able to go for a few rides down the road with Cody and friends. It's been ages!

No comments: