Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Axel Wears a Harness

Went out to the barn early yesterday as the vet was going to meet me out there. My horses and Tom's horses needed their Coggins test done and Cody needed some xrays to confirm/deny laminitis and judge any rotation. The vet actually thinks perhaps it isn't laminitis, he didn't get a lot of reaction with the hoof testers. He's thinking maybe thin soles. I do have my doubts since he only showed up lame 3 weeks ago and would have had the same thickness soles for several years. But he's supposed to call with the results of the film this morning. Cody stood very well for the xrays in any case so they should look good. He flinched for the blood draw but wasn't overly worked up about it. Even Kiko flinched. Once again Axel was complimented on his fine looks. We were talking about Kiko and Kalani being for sale and how we thought why wouldn't anyone want Kalani. And that everyone seems to want Axel instead. The vet likes Axel's head.

So after the vet left we got out the harness we borrowed. We didn't think Gunner's harness would fit so the one we borrowed is a synthetic half draft harness. It fit pretty well, just needs some minor adjustments and is missing a few pieces. The one piece it's missing isn't too big of a deal, just the holdback or footman loop. The other missing piece is the check rein or overcheck. Sometimes not a bit deal but from the looks of Axel dropping his head to the ground, he'll need an overcheck. I'm not sure where we're going to come up with one. Maybe there's one on Gunner's harness we can borrow for the meantime.

So we fitted him up and ground drove him for a while. Then we added the pool noodles with some sticks inside them for fake shafts so he could feel what it is like moving around with stiff rods next to him. When he was bored of that Steph suggested the next time was adding the cart. I haven't talked to the caretakers yet about using their cart *and* I was a little worried. A cart on wheels seems like it would be easy to run away with. So instead we tied a wood pallet to the harness to see if he would pull that and how he'd react. In my mind I thought a heavy wood pallet is harder to run away with. In reality it's probably way more dangerous and way more heavy than pulling a cart but Axel is set solidly in his lazy ways so I wasn't too concerned. So he pulled and he didn't much appreciate it but he did it anyway. I wish we had a pull behind drag and he and I could practice by dragging the paddock every week.

Next time, if we move onto the cart, we'll need to get some helpers (so I'm told). One header, one person in the cart, a driver, and two people on the sides of the cart to move it around if it gets stuck some where. I think prior to that Axel will have to be ground driven in the overcheck and get used to that. I can imagine that won't make him terribly happy not being able to drop his head.


No comments: