Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Cody's New Shoes

So I went out to meet with the farrier yesterday to see what he thought about Cody. Cody was a little slow going but he seemed sound still. He managed to get a little rub spot on his one leg from the boots. The farrier put the hoof testers on him and concluded that indeed he is a bit laminitic in both feet. Not exactly the diagnosis I wanted to hear but oh well. He put front shoes on him. For not having been shod in over 10 years, Cody did really well. Even with the hot shoeing. I should have had a better camera, the smoke that comes off the hooves with the hot shoe is pretty neat looking, stinky though. The flies were bothering everyone so they weren't standing quite as nicely as they could but I think Cody did really well. I think the hammering was a bit sensitive for him. So when I have the vet out for Coggins pretty quick here, I'll have to have him do xrays on Cody's front hooves to check the rotation. The farrier thought it was pretty minimal at this point so now it's just shoe and hope it gets better.

Axel did fine compared to most the horses. Everyone was having a difficult time. I guess Gunner is a bit of a tough cookie with feet. The farriers were trying to pass him off on each other. Axel must be getting himself into some sticky situations. His whole left side is just covered in bite marks from another horse. They probably aren't as bad as they look but I might not be riding him tonight. They are right where the saddle will hit. Hopefully Cody is feeling up to a ride with his new shoes. Pretty soon he's going to have more pairs than me!

No comments: