Sunday, June 14, 2009

First Trail Ride of the Season

I'm pretty sure Cody knew something was up after I groomed him and let him stand in the crossties with Amigo in a stall while the barn owner and I loaded saddles into the trailer. Luckily he loaded after about three attempts of "front feet in, fly backwards." He didn't know what to do with his head to make himself fit in the slant load though, so there was a lot of pushing to get the divider shut. Amigo jumped right in and Diva likewise and we were off to Lebanon Hills. Another notch in my belt for Minnesota Horse Trails.

Diva lives up to her name


Cody got out of the trailer a sweaty mess, partly because it was pretty warm and partly because he was a nervous basket case. He aimed himself towards "home" despite being 10 miles away and was actually fairly reluctant to follow the other horses down the trail at first. But I'll admit this is our first away from home trail ride that he walked, willingly, most of the time. The only time he trotted was when he'd fall behind and want to catch up. He wouldn't even canter more than a few strides when we all decided to have a go. He stuck next to Danny who was gaiting, and he trotted his heart out to keep up. We didn't go in the water since I wasn't sure how it would work with his hoof boots on so we just watched Danny wade and Diva do her best *not* to get wet. By the end we did almost all of the 9+ miles available and probably more since I there was a little backtracking on some of the trails. Cody was getting pretty tired by the end and my hips were killing me, though I think we were only out for maybe 2-3 hours. Cody jumped right in the trailer to go home, this time we put him in second and he fit a bit better. He got hosed off a bit when we got home and then found himself a couple nice spots to roll in the pasture. Hopefully we didn't undo any of the chiropractic work from Friday and hopefully I'll be able to catch him next time I ride (going to try and alternate days for each horse now instead of riding both every day).



Unfortunately I didn't think to take any photos of my awesome summer riding pants, pink plaid, and you can't really see them in this photo that one of the other boarders took. Oh well, next time. You can see Cody's cute boots and the fact I'm riding on a long rein, I did my best to just stay out of his way and let him be happy.

No comments: