Saturday, June 13, 2009

Warm Ride

Just a quick trip out to the barn today to check on the horses post adjustment. Cody was actually waiting at the gate so I took him in and groomed him and we did some ground work in the arena. He wasn't terribly excited and just wanted to walk on the lunge. I didn't push him but I did ask for a trot just to make sure he was just feeling lazy and not in pain. It's amazing how good he is at backing up from the ground and not under saddle. We didn't work long, it was pretty warm in the arena and I hadn't opened the doors yet since it would mean more distraction. I'll admit that Cody hadn't turned into some genius and super cooperative horse over night, his reactions were the same as they always were but there was a lot more chewing and licking than usual. I hadn't put the saddle on him so I don't know if he'd still yawn at the sight of it. That will remain to be seen I guess.

munching-grass


I brought Axel into the barn to groom and see how he was feeling. He was pretty pokey on the gravel and the cement but he seemed fine in the arena. I decided to jump on bareback and just ride around a bit. I managed to jump up from the mounting block and actually get on. Axel even stood there without moving, it would have been quite the sight had he moved since getting on bareback is not my forte. We just wandered around for a while before my butt was too hot to keep riding.

It was only low 70s today and it was pretty warm. Looks like high 70s for tomorrow and we're planning on going out to Lebanon Hills so it could be a very toasty ride. I think it'll be time to bust out the pink plaid pants.

No comments: