Thursday, August 20, 2009

Rain Rain

can't get Cody to stand still for a photo.


It stopped raining long enough to run out to the barn for a quick trip yesterday. Vinnie was in his own pasture now, I wonder if it will stay that way or what. Cody was all wet so I groomed him the best I could. He was exceptionally flinchy when I brushed him, not sure if that has something to do with being wet or what. I wanted to add a pad to Cody's saddle and rearrange things so the therapy pad would be in the right spot. So that took me quite a while, all the time Cody yawning and acting mildly unhappy about life. I free lunged him for a bit to get him moving and then just rode at the walk and trot without a whip. He wasn't a speed demon that's for sure but he did alright. This time I was sure to stop before he got all strung out and I was trying to do my best to not nag - something I really need to pay more attention to. There's got to be a fine line between nagging and correcting but it's hard to find when Cody wants to wander aimlessly and won't stay on the rail. He did manage to trot for a quite a while without offering to stop so that was nice. I think I'm going to stop riding in that AP saddle though. It's just not right or something. Though that might put a damper on our idea to do some little jumps. Of course we need some standards for that still.

I'm trying to do more back stretches for him so he can hopefully build a better topline, he lifts his belly pretty well when I run my hands down next to his tail.

No comments: