Thursday, August 06, 2009

Trotting Away

Cody was looking pretty cute today


After wearing that fly mask all the time to block the sun, Cody is always very happy to have my scratch his face with the squishy rubber curry. I usually end up taking off a whole lot of hair and dirt in the process. I picked up some baby wipes with aloe to use on his nose if he does get sun burnt. I figured it should feel pretty good on a sore nose. He looked a little pink last night so I gave it a try. He actually didn't mind it and wow did it clean him up a lot. So here's your cheap horse keeping tip of the day - use baby wipes. Lookit that cute pink nose!

So last night's goal was just to trot. Trot trot trot. It went pretty well. Cody was a little mad I wouldn't let him veer off to the gate when we'd pass. But boy does he steer well when there's a whip in his way. You just have to put it in his line of sight and he'll turn away from it real quick. When I pushed my luck and asked for a canter that's when he started to get strung out and angry. I'm not sure what his deal is with that but I might have to just keep working at the trot. Perhaps he's out of shape or balance. Maybe more lunging and long lining. But his rein back has been getting a bit better. I want to come up with a few more things to try and see what keeps his interest. If I can get Jeff to build me some jump standards we'll try some small jumps. Maybe some pole weaving? Maybe some rollbacks on the rail? Still working on some turns/spins.

No comments: