Monday, January 11, 2010

The Medicine Saga Continues

So Friday I experimented with an old de-worming syringe and applesauce and there was no way I could mix all of Axel's meds and have it be less than a million doses. So it was back to the drawing board. I ended up mixing the 3 scoops of antibiotics with two lunch size packages of applesauce and a bit of brown sugar. I mixed it up really well and then put that over some grain. Eureka! We had a winner! Axel ate every last drop of it. Just for kicks I put some bute in with some grain and apples and he actually ate quite a bit of that as well.

Saturday J said that he ate all of his meds again with the same mixture (just the antibiotics). Though J tried to bring him his meds out to the pasture and Vinnie tried to get his share.

Still guarding the hay

So yesterday I went back out and brought him the applesauce mixture. He ate most of it but he might bet getting a little fed up with all these "special treatment." I put some bute in with some brown sugar and apples in some grain and he ate part of that but not much. I should only have a few more days of the antibiotics left so that'll be nice. I've been doing some massage as well and I've started lunging him at the walk for a few minutes each time I go out there. It'd be great if he was at least ridable at the walk this weekend to play with the big green ball but we'll see. He's kind of stiff now instead of completely gimpy. His belly swelling is almost completely gone but his sheath is still puffy and I don't think that inspires a lot of moving around. He has been laying in the hay so he must feel a bit better.

No comments: