Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Gorgeous day today

I spent most of the afternoon out at the barn with all the horses. Groomed Cody up and played a little Parelli friendly game with him. He's getting a lot more people friendly, mostly I think he's looking for treats though ;) I put Beau in the barn and took off his rug and let him roll in the dirt for a while. While he hung out in the barn and ate I groomed Axel. He must have been laying in the snow, his whole right side was soaking wet. And that combined with his black hair in the sun, you could see the steam coming off of him. I put the english saddle on him and we played around in the front pasture a little bit. I don't quite have the hang of the figure 8's yet, but I think Axel is starting to get it. The snow is pretty weird right now so we only got a little trot on the way back to the paddock. Though it was a very smooth trot. I am excited for summer to come so we can go for some real rides.

I untacked Axel and put Beau's rug back on and let him back out side with the herd. I was just kind of hanging out wasting time when Corey started following me around and wouldn't leave me alone. Tom had said to ride him whenever I want so I grabbed a bridle and took him into the round pen. I actually coudln't find his bridle so I just used one that looked like it might fit. And I just decided to ride bareback, he's close to the ground so I figured if I fell it wouldn't be too bad. I couldn't quite get him close enough to the fence to get on so I kind of had to fling myself at him. But the little goof was so good, he just stood there solid until I was on all the way. We walked around several times and he decided he was done and just stopped. Not wanting to end on that note I did get him moving again before *I* decided it was time to stop. He's a fun little guy and it'll be good to get him out on some trail rides this spring too. That way we'll have atleast 3 horses to go on rides with, Cody, Axel, and Corey. Now we just have to get Kiko and Kalani working under saddle.

Right before I left I put out the Jollyball to see if anyone wanted to play. Actually everyone took their turn carrying it around a bit. Cody seemed to like it the most this time. It's supposed to be nice again tomorrow so I'll probably go out again and see what kind of damage I can do with lunging. :>

No comments: