Tuesday, January 10, 2006

A weekday visit

Went out for a little visit today. The plan was to do a little Parelli with Cody and Axel. I brought out the rope halter that I had made and Corey was following me around practically putting his head in the halter. So I figured I'd practice on him. He was a pretty good boy, but he's had quite a bit of handling and whatnot in his life. After that I tried to work with Cody a bit. My rope halter doesn't really work very well, it's all crooked and doesn't fit right so I think I'll have to break down and buy one sometime. Mostly with Cody I just worked on the "friendly game" and getting him to pay attention to me and not the other horses in the pasture. We stood in the paddock and faced different directions and I petted him. He'd start pulling his head and nodding up and down towards his friends so I'd slowly pull the lead until he'd face his head to me then I'd pet him some more. We didn't have any breakthroughs but we'll keep working.

My intention was to work on the "porcupine game" with Axel but the rope halter just wasn't working on him and he was a little confused about it. So we ended up not really playing our games. After that I just kind of hung out for a while and tried to clean up the paddock a bit. Cody spent some time with Koko the cat at the water trough. He kept trying to smell Koko but the cat would step away from him. They are cute little friends.

No comments: