Thursday, January 05, 2006

Where is the sun?

Since I am once again unemployed, I went out to visit the boys today, on a Thursday. I put Beau in the barn with some hay so he could have some peace and quite and a little lunch while I was there. I haven't taken off his blanket yet but felt around under it and he almost feels like he's gaining weight. If I can get someone to help me on Saturday I'll take off his blanket and see what's going on under there and maybe brush him a bit. So while he was munching away I went and groomed Axel. He was very good about his feet this time. Picked them all up pretty easy, only a little trouble with his left rear but not nearly as much trouble as it usually is. His head is still scabbed over so I can't really tell what's going on with his wound. I figure when it's healed up he'll start scratching his head on trees and the scab will fall off on it's own.

Cody came over to see what was going on so I groomed him next. He was such a good boy. I picked up both his front feet from the left side. I went to both sides for the back feet because all the other horses were crowding around and I didn't want him to loose his balance. I brushed the other horses a bit because they were hanging around. And everyone got some apple treats. Cody was being quite friendly today and following me around and just kind of hanging out with me. That was a nice change, usually he's off being a horse with the rest of the herd.

When I was done grooming I decided to jump on Axel for a quick spin around the pasture. He tries to pretend he doesn't see me coming with his bridle but I know better. It took us a couple tries to stand still well enough for me to mount from the block. Part of the problem was Corey trying to get Axel to move away, once Corey got bored of that then things went ok. Axel wasn't completely into the ride but we made it around the pasture in once piece. He's so funny, I cue him for a turn and he turns 90 degrees. He doesn't quite bend, he just stops and turns. Silly boy. Hopefully Tricia will come out and ride with me on Sunday morning and maybe she can offer some tips to get him to move a little more smoothly.

No comments: