Monday, May 24, 2010

New Saddle Pad and New Horses

Cody's new low back pad

I broke down and went to Fleet Farm to find Cody a new saddle pad to fill in some of the gap from his lower than normal back. The chiropractor suggested that maybe if the saddle keeps slipping back it could be causing some issues with Cody's back. So it was time to bite the bullet. I found a saddle pad that someone must have tried on their horse and not liked so it was marked down by about $15 or so. I did try and ride on Sunday but it was hot and sticky and Cody was feeling lazy as can be. He still had troubles with tracking left but he wasn't trying and apparently I wasn't either so we called it a day and just tried his new pad on.

Ready to go

J&J came home with a new team of Clydesdales so they hitched them up and we all went for a ride around the block. Sounds like the plan to keep Logan but he needs some time to recuperate from his weird horse shoe issue. They might then keep him and one of the new team but they were a pair at the sale so they ended up with both for now. The bigger of the two horses has blue eyes which I've never seen in a Clydesdale before. I think Logan is happy to have some friends in his pasture. He apparently owns the waterer though and frequently chases the brothers away from it.

3 comments:

Krisann at Beaman's Fork Soap Co. said...

I need a new low-back-friendly pad for my older mare. What brand did you buy?

I don't know if you remember photos of the Clydesdale mare I had before we bought Johnny, but she had half blue eyes on both sides. We miss her... they are such a big goofy breed.

(BTW this is Krisann from LJ)

Elise said...

I ended up getting a Reinsman Tacky Too pad, contour sway back pad from Fleet Farm. Normally it's like 90 bucks or something but apparently someone bought it and returned it so it was marked down to $75. I hate spending that much but he's just got a low enough back that the saddle slides really bad and he's sore even when having his adjusted twice a year. So I guess one pad that I won't wear out too soon is the same as one chiro visit, I suppose that's worth it!

The other one I like is on horse.com called Ride-n-lite orthopedic pad, it's not quite as built up as this pad but we use it for the therapy horses a lot and it's a nice pad that puts a little extra on the back.

Krisann at Beaman's Fork Soap Co. said...

Ive seen the Tacky Too pads in a lot of my catelogs but wondered if they were worth the money. As Pebbles gets older, her back gets lower and I have a problem with the saddle slipping back. Maybe I'll see if I can catch one on sale. Let me know how it works out if you get a chance.