Thursday, May 27, 2010

Farrier Visit

I should have awesome pictures of the three clydesdales running around the pasture and lining up in a row at the fence. But I don't. You'll have to use your imagination or find a Budweiser Clydesdale commercial on YouTube.

I held Axel and Cody and Diva, fetched Dolly, Steele, Danny, and Vinnie, and held Vinnie for the farrier last night. Everyone was on their best behavior. Axel was a little annoyed at having that right front knee bent and he kept wrinkling his nose and snorting. I've never seen him do something like that before, but he didn't pull his leg away and was much more cooperative with all 4 legs than he had been the last time Marv was out. He had a couple ticks, one on his nostril and one big yucky one on his forelock along with a lot of scabby spots from previous ticks. Ick. I keep spraying him with fly spray but I might have to bust out the Wipe for his forelock especially if I'm going to be gone all weekend, maybe I can sneak out on the way out of town on Friday and wipe him down. And someone please tie me to the sewing machine until I fix Cody's fly mask so save his poor pink nose.

Cody's crack isn't completely grown out yet and it passed the mark we made in his hoof so we could track it but it didn't seem to get too bad so hopefully it'll grow out this next time.

It was just too nice and cool to not try and ride again so after everyone was done I tacked up the old man in the arena. No yawning as I tacked. I got on and off a couple times because I really wanted the pad to be exactly right so I wasn't pinching anything. He was still not very willing and pretty darn lazy so it didn't go much better than our first post-chiro ride. But once again there was another horse in the arena and he has a hard time thinking about what he's doing and not paying attention to that other horse. It's part "I have to keep my eye on him" and part "he's not working why should I." Yes, I know, we need to work on ground driving. The next test will be out on the road but I didn't have enough time last night so we just stayed in the arena.

I'm not sure how I like the Tacky Too pad. I know we use them a lot in TR but it just seems like his back gets so darn hot under it. Maybe his back gets just as hot with the wool pad and I'm just looking for issues right now. But! there was a lot of long and low stretching. Still some yawning while I was riding but the long and low seemed like it was a good sign. And! there was a lot of licking and chewing. So maybe we're doing okay.

No comments: